It doesn't matter if you're traveling for business or pleasure: eating healthy on the road is tough. Give yourself a fighting chance by being mindful about your diet while you travel. Use these tips as a guide to help you eat (and feel) your best.
- Give Yourself Options: Road trips are not known for access to healthy food. The best way to combat this is to bring healthy options along with you. A few snacks stashed in a cooler can go a long way, especially when you're passing fast food sign after fast food sign. Pack fruits like apples, bananas, and grapes, veggies like baby carrots or cucumber slices, nuts, cheese, crackers, and granola bars. That way you'll always have something you like on hand when hunger strikes.
- Bring Greens Powder: Snacks alone may not give you the nutrition you need on long trips. Bringing greens powder with you can help bridge the gap. Not only will it provide you with the nutrients you want, a great greens powder will include probiotics and digestive enzymes. You'll keep your digestive system working at its best: a very good idea when you're on the road.
- Eat Regularly: The goal here is to keep yourself from becoming ravenous. The hungrier you get, the more appealing unhealthy choices become. Eat a snack or a meal every two to three hours. Keep portion control in mind: stick with smaller amounts of food to stay satisfied without feeling stuffed and sleepy.
- Research Grocery Stores: Even the best stocked cooler can run dry. If you're low on snacks, resist the urge to pop into the next convenience store you pass. Take the time to seek out grocery stores in your area. You'll get a greater selection of healthy options, including fresh fruits and vegetables, than you would at a gas station or fast food joint.
- Drink Up: Keep a reusable water bottle with you and fill it up every time you stop for a bathroom break. Drinking plenty of water will help your digestion, keep you awake, and prevent dehydration. You may also find yourself feeling less hungry. Dehydration can sometimes masquerade as hunger. Stay hydrated to feel more satisfied.
- Indulge a Little: Just because you're trying to make healthy decisions doesn't mean you can't have a little fun. One of the best things about traveling is getting to enjoy local food choices. Allow yourself to enjoy a treat every day. It can be a greasy burger, a double scoop of ice cream, or a decadent sweet drink, as long as it's only once a day. You'll get to enjoy your trip even more without sacrificing nutrition. Sounds like a win-win to us!